Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Internal Error: Invalid parameter detected in function (null). Fil

Anne-Lise
7 - Meteor

I frequently have this error when using ODBC connection, while my query is working fine outside Alteryx. It seems to be related to the size of the results, because if I had a criteria, or modify a criteria to get a more restrictive result, it works.

What is the solution??? My query should only return 138.710 lines, from an Oracle database, which is not a big dataset at all!

4 REPLIES 4
Anne-Lise
7 - Meteor

By using a direct Oracle connection, it seems to work...

michael_anthony
6 - Meteoroid

Enclosing CASE WHEN statement in parenthesis solved this problem for me.

I haven't looked at your code, but often subtle formatting that works without issue outside alteryx raises issues once placed in the alteryx input tool sql editor. For example, a version of the script below only works when the case statement is enclosed.

SELECT * 
    (CASE
            WHEN status IS NULL THEN segment
            ELSE detail.segment
        END) status,
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I got the same error with a Snowflake connection. I just used the CAST function to convert date fields into strings and that worked for me.

byagelski
8 - Asteroid

in case it's helpful for anyone else with an Oracle DB pull, I ended up using TO_CHAR([datetimefieldname],'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS') to get around this error by converting to string.

Labels