Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Inputs/Output should have the option to read/write a compressed file (ZIP or GZIP)

Both Input and Output tools should have the ability to read or write any file type from/into standard compression types (ZIP and GZIP). This would be helpful when managing large files.

16 Comments
aakarsh_kalra
7 - Meteor
Totally agreed. We have huge GZIP files and in order to process them i first need to unzip them manually and then have Alteryx read and process it.

If we can read zipped files or unzip/zip a file within the module would be really helpful.
adrian_loong
7 - Meteor
That would greatly assist us as well. We have huge gzip files which contain xml that need to be read in and processed . It would be good to have this functionality without using another external application or run command
PoornimaF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on this. We have received this feature request from numerous customers and will be looking into making it part of an upcoming release. In the meantime, you can unzip compressed files by using unzip.exe in the Run Command tool. An illustration on how this tool can be utilized can be found on our CTO's blog post

Thanks,
Poornima Farrar, Product Manager
_aaron_walters
7 - Meteor
It would also be great to have this for pushing to S3 buckets as well.
lanny_newville
7 - Meteor

This would be an awesome option.  I currently download 24 hours worth of computer log files with millions of entries from a service provider daily. The ability to pull directly from a .gzip file would not only save time but hdd space as well.

JCR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

This is under review - reference F401.

Please keep updating the thread with the formats you'd like us to support.

RyanNewsome
9 - Comet
Hopefully these macros will help some people for the time being, to output to a zipped csv and also send the zipfile to S3 buckets http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/output-to-CSV-ZIP-S3-bucket-SFTP-macros-at...
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

bzsurf03
5 - Atom

I hope to see this functionality in the future.  For now I will handle with R.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

This functionality is available for ZIP files via the input tool.