Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Tool dropping data in V_WSTRING (very large character) field

mgarudi
5 - Atom

Hi Everyone, I am a regular Alteyrx user & rely on community for most of question I encounter on daily basis. 

I am facing an issue when it comes to importing large string data fields using Input tool & would appreciate your suggestions/advice. Here is brief explanation:

For a particular family group of items, a list of items is concatenated (by comma separator)  & then written in CSV using Output tool . When validated in workflow, you can see all the concatenated items & also data type V_WString with specified max length Alteryx can deal with i.e. 2.14Bn characters.

But when same CSV is imported in another workflow, the input tool is overwriting the V_WString to standard V_String with 254 characters by automatically dropping items in the concatenated fields. 

For example, if family group A has 100 items concatenated in single V_WString & outputted in CSV, when imported using Input tool in another workflow, it randomly drops 80 items & standardizes data type from V_WString to V_String.

Another problem here is you can not open this file to validate in Excel as it will try to make sense of data & mess up with the formatting.

Awaiting for valuable feedback !

2 REPLIES 2
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It sounds like your data is becoming truncated with the import? In the Input tool configuration, can you try changing the field length to something larger?

echuong1_0-1594831406028.png

mgarudi
5 - Atom

Awesome, Thanks @echuong1  !

Labels