Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Tool Excel File displays _x0020

rgusaas
8 - Asteroid

I am using the input tool to open a single sheet Excel workbook and seeing the character string _x0020 embedded between field names where the underscore was used. The data also shows similar insertions.

The display is the same for multiple files opened, whether via drag-n-drop or selecting the file from within the File Input Tool.

Any ideas what this is and how to correct for it?

ExcelBadData1.jpg

ExcelBadData2.jpg

ExcelBadData3.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Eleete
5 - Atom

I'm not sure of the cause but I do know of a solution. Use the Dynamic Rename tool -> Rename Mode: Formula -> Select all affected fields -> use this formula: Replace([_CurrentField_], 'x0020_', '')

That should clean up that weird string of characters

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @rgusaas 

Can you post a sample of the excel file with just a couple of rows of data.  Delete all the columns except GroupID as well.  It looks like the values in this column are affected as well.

Dan 

rgusaas
8 - Asteroid

Unfortunately, I am unable to pass any of the data on for review, and do not as yet know the root cause.

I did notice that the Excel file was Read Only, and that opening the Excel file, and doing a Save As to a Read Write eliminated the problem. The newly saved file did not have any of the extra characters embedded in either the labels or the data.

RyanKnitter
5 - Atom

I was having the same issue. I found that if I change the File Format to Microsoft Excel Legacy (*xlsx) it fixed the issue.

RyanKnitter_1-1610039226396.png

Labels