Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Inner trim after converting to excel - how to deny it?

olahnil
7 - Meteor

Hi, can somebody help me? 

I have some strings that comes into alteryx like: "This   is it." with more spaces in the sentence. But after the Alteryx creates the Excel sheet xlsx output then it automatically removes the spaces and creates a string like: "This is it." How can I force Alteryx not to do the inner trim automatically? We need the data with more spaces between the words.

In xls format the Excel keeps the spaces but if I want to create a formatted reporting tool based output there I only can find xlsx possibility.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @olahnil 

This appears to be a known issue with the Table Tool.  See here and here.  To get around this issue you can replace the spaces in your strings with non-breaking spaces ASC#160.  In Alteryx, you can use CharFromInt(160).  These won't be removed in the output

w.png

In this example, both field1 and field2 started with the same strings.  The formula tool replaces the spaces in field1 with ASC#160 giving this result. 

r.png

The spaces are preserved in field1, but removed in field 2

Dan

olahnil
7 - Meteor

Thank you, it is a perfect solution.

olahnil
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have a new issue with this space character.

If I convert the spaces to ASC#160 then our load file fails to upload in the system,

because it does not accept the new space characters.

How can we solve this issue?

Labels