Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Incorrectly exporting more rows that there should be

kmalone007
8 - Asteroid

I have an intricate workflow with lots going on. Everything seems to work fine until I try to output. 

I have 401 rows of data but when I output to xlsx, TDE or yxdb I end up with 765 rows of data. I can see this is a duplicate of some of the data I have coming in from a join earlier on, where one row has the joined figure and another has a 0. However this is several tools up and when I run the workflow on designer it all looks fine right up until I view the output file.  There are 401 rows going into the output data tool and 765 showing on the output file.

3 REPLIES 3
pankajk
10 - Fireball

Hi @kmalone007 - You kind of mentioned it when you referenced the 'Join' tool where rows must be doubling due to how the data is joined. I have never run into an 'output' file issue where the input is 'x' rows and output is double. Would you mind sharing sample data and your workflow so we can provide a more specific solution.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It sounds like you may be facing duplication because of the joins. There is likely a record that has a one to many relationship, and is therefore causing a cartesian join.

However, you mention that everything looks fine going into the output. If you click on the left side of the output tool, are there 401 records shown? For your output tool, do you have it configured to overwrite the data in the existing file? If this is set to append, you are essentially stacking records with each run.

echuong1_0-1592863987184.png

kmalone007
8 - Asteroid

It seems this was an issue with information moving through the workflow. A couple of block until done tools solved this. 

Labels