Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

In-database - "Unable to find connection 'x' " when workflow is scheduled

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

"Unable to find connection 'x' " when workflow is scheduled

When running a workflow via the Scheduler (for Designer with Automation), the following error is observed:

Unable to find connection "x"

Environment

• Alteryx Designer
    • Designer with Automation
  • Windows Operating System
  • In-Database Connection

Diagnosis

1. Confirm that you are using Designer with Automation and not Alteryx Server. You can confirm this by opening the Alteryx System Settings from Designer underOptions > Advanced Options > System Settings. On theSetup Type page you will seeDesigner and Scheduler Onlyselected.

Spoiler (Highlight to read)
designer plus scheduler setup type system settings.png
2. Confirm the In-Database connection is setup as a Userconnection. You can check this from Designer by navigating to Options > Advanced Options > Manage In-DB Connections and choosing the Data Source and Connection name you are using. It will show next to the name of the Connection:

user indb connection.png

Alternatively, you can check in the drop-downfor the ConnectionNameConnect In-DBtool or theData Stream In tool:

connect INDB connections.png

Cause

The In-Database connection in use is aUserconnection; scheduling requires aSystem connection or a Fileconnection.

Solution A - System Connection

1. Follow the steps in this article to set up aSystemconnection:How To: Create an In-Database Connection
    1. This will require admin permissions. Please see the following article for more information:Unable to create System Connection/System Connection type missing

Solution B- File Connection

1. Follow the steps in this article to set up aFileconnection:How To: Create an Alteryx In-DB Connection File
  2. The .indbc file will need to be available to theRun As User or the user running the Alteryx Service. To avoid any issues, you can package the workflow, then schedule as follows:
    1. Package the workflow by going to Options > Export Workflow, making sure you check the box to include the .indbc file
    2. Go toOptions > View Schedules
    3. On theWorkflows tab, click the + icon
    4. add workflow to schedule.png
    5. Navigate to the .yxzp file you created above and set the schedule frequency

Additional Resources

Comments
Bei
5 - Atom

After taking Solution B- File Connection, I have error message below when running workflow in Gallery(Workflow run well in Alteryx designer):

OCILogon2 Error: ORA-24960: the attribute OCI_ATTR_PASSWORD is greater than the maximum allowable length of 255 (Tool Id: 3)

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Bei
5 - Atom

Use "Hide" instead of "Encrypt for user" for Password Encryption and the issue has been solved.

NikhilVedula
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I am trying to save my Analytical app workflow to the Gallery, but i am unable to do that,

I am facing the issue like Unable to find  the connection "abcd" , so the reason i am unable to save my

workflow, Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!!