Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Imputation Tool Error

dcleere
5 - Atom

Hi there,

The imputation tool is reducing the number of columns in my data set. I am feeding in 100+ columns but only looking to impute 5 of them. The output of the tool has < 100 columns which seem to be dropped at random. Unless I am using the tool incorrectly, can you please advise on this?

Thanks,
David

8 REPLIES 8
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

HI @dcleere,

I've moved your post over to data preparation and blending.  Can you post a sample workflow for us to take a look at ?

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@dcleere,

If the imputation is simple, I prefer to use the multi-field formula tool.

As an example, to remove NULL values from string variables and make them blank

IIF(IsNull([_CurrentField_]),'',[_CurrentField_])

or to make numeric variables that are NULL as zero (0)

IIF(IsNull([_CurrentField_]),0,[_CurrentField_])

In the configuration, you choose the type of variables to operate on and then select the fields.  You can either create "NEW" variables or update them directly.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
dcleere
5 - Atom

Hi Jessica,

Please find sample workflow attached. It is mock data and the earlier steps in the workflow mock what is contained in the workflow.

- Select unqiue on Col1

- Impute the last three columns in the data set

You will see the number of columns drops from 113 to 111 following the imputatation tool.

Thanks,

David

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @dcleere,

We will review this internally and follow back up with you.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @dcleere,

I was able to take a look here.  Under the hood, the tool has a regex statement to deselect the imputed value indicator field and the secondary imputed values field when the below settings are checked.

2017-08-22_16-03-53.jpg

The regex inside the dynamic select tool is looking for fields that contain _ followed by a string containing either mp or nd  (the fields created by the tool have suffix of either _Indicator or _ImputedValue)

It just so happens that your field names match the regex written with _INDUST.

To Navigate around, rename the fields to a name that does not contain 'IN' after an _ such as INDUST_ERNINGS_AGE or select output 'imputed value indicator.'

@MarqueeCrew's suggestion is a great workaround as well.

I will alert our development team about this issue.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
tjschubert
5 - Atom

Hi Jessica,

I'm trying to complete a tutorial and am using the Imputation tool to remove null values and replace with a median value.  The problem I'm experiencing is that only the very first column of the data-set is appearing under the 'Fields to impute'.  Why don't I see all of the columns?

Thank you,

Tom

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @tjschubert,

Could you create a new thread on your question and include the workflow as an attachment so we can take a look?

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
tjschubert
5 - Atom

Sorry, but how do I start my own question thread?  I don't see the option to do that.

Thanks,

Labels