Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing quotes within quotes

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid
I have a .CSV file that is also quote delimited. One of the fields includes the full name. One of the records has a name encased in quotes so it looks like something like this: ""Jim" Brown","30201", Evidently, Alteryx does not like this and errors out with "CSVFile: A field was missing a closing quote in record..." Any thoughts on a workaround?
6 REPLIES 6
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Can you attach sample data file with few records ?

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @alexlyle,

Your example works as expected, please see below for reference.

You may want to cleanup additional/unwanted quotes using Replace Function.

If you're still facing this issue, can you please share a simple input file with some records?

img1.JPGimg2.JPG

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid
The data is sensitive and cannot be attached. I cannot use replace or text to columns because I cannot import the file
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @alexlyle 

Have you tried changing option #9 on the import options?

image.png

Tried this out, set it to None, and it worked. You'll need to do some clean up afterwards, but hopefully this works.

Let me know if it helps!

Cheers,

Esther

AndrewS
11 - Bolide

If it is throwing an import error try setting Option 5 to \0 to remove all delimiters. From there you should be able to remove the quotes.

anil_lingam
5 - Atom

Thanks so much. This fixed my issue.

Labels