Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import only 1 sheet from multiple excel files at once

alternewbie1
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am new to Alteryx. I have over 50 files, and each of them contains 2 sheets. I want to only import 1 sheet from each of those 50 files. I used wild card method but it doesn't work. Anyone can help with this issue? Thank you in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
jcj
5 - Atom

I had a similar dilemma where the simple wildcard import would result in error on half my excel files.

This resource goes over multiple input methods, in progression of simplest to more robust. I had to resort to a batch macro, with file paths, to pull all the data correctly.

It takes a while to learn but it's a good learning exercise, and you can reuse the import macro.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alternewbie1 

Do they have the same schema?

I recommend you to read this article https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets...

There are several ones explaining how to do this.

Cheers,

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @alternewbie1 

I wanted to give you a tangible example of what @Thableaus and @jcj are referring to so that you can "see" what we are saying... hoping that this helps you 🙂 Just know there are always other ways to do this just an example that works... Note: if there is a more complex use case this example might need tweeking 😉

Enjoy!

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels