Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Identify most popular/frequented route

olehr
8 - Asteroid

Hi there, 

I have got a case, and a bit unsure how to proceed. The case is as follws: 

In the city there are different locations where public bikes are stationed, and I want to identify and vizualize which station is the most popular/frequented, and to which station they end their trip. (5 most frequented routes). In addition, I want to identyfy the rush-hour to the different stations, as well as which day of the week that is most popular. 

I have attached a sample of the data below 🙂

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
LukeG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @olehr,

Here is an example of how this process could be started. I created a workflow that shows us our top 5 routes taken, and it uses the Latitude/Longitude to create spatial points.

With this start, you can now begin digging further into rush hour, day of week, etc.

Flow.PNG

Let me know if you have any questions!

Luke

olehr
8 - Asteroid

Hi @LukeG

Thank you for this 🙂  just on question. Does it now take into account which station people start at, and at wchich station they end?  

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @olehr ,

Here you go

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

LukeG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@olehr Yes. By grouping on both start_startion_id and end_station_id (among other variables), we are effectively create a unique route for each row.

If we wanted to create a new column with a unique identifier called route_id, we could use a combination of the start and end id.

Using a formula tool, the function could be: [start_station_id] + " - " + [end-station_id]

This would make the most common route_id = 464 - 443

olehr
8 - Asteroid

Hello @afv2688

Thanks for responding.  Unfortunately I cannot open the bicycles.yxzp as I have an older version of Alteryx. 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

There you go, should be able to open it now.

you can open the workflow on a notepad and edit the second line:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2019.1">

Change it to your current alteryx version. This should help you.

Regards

olehr
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @afv2688 

Labels