Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

INVALID TYPE in OPERATOR

peter987
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm trying to create a simple condition: IF [Total FV]>0 THEN "REC" ELSE "PAY" ENDIF

But I keep on receiving INVALID TYPE in OPERATOR.....there's a problem with > operator

I tried to put "" before/after "[Total FV]>0"....then the error message disappeared but the results were rubbish as Total FV was assigned only "PAY".

Thanks for any advice.

7 REPLIES 7
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @peter987 ,

Add a select  before formula  or  check metadata  for  [Total FV]  data type .

The error  may be because  [Total FV]  is  not numeric. 

peter987
5 - Atom

Thanks,Benakesh

the thing is that Total FV is numeric...just wanna make simple condition if Total FV (fair value) is > 0 then it is REC (receivable) if not it is PAY (Payable)

I checked that data format of Total FV is V_WString so it should be set as numeric.

Thanks a lot.

peter987
5 - Atom

sorry, I just found there should be "" before/after 0....now it works perfectly:)

IF [Total FV]>"0" THEN "REC" ELSE "PAY" ENDIF

andyuttley
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Hi @peter987 

Your formula is legit, but it may be because the field you're creating isn't a string field, but you're trying to write and output such as "PAY". Assuming you're creating a new field, you'll want to make sure it is a string to allow that kind of result, such as this (note the highlighted part):

FV.PNG

Hope that helps

thanks

Andy 

andyuttley
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

@peter987 wrote:

sorry, I just found there should be "" before/after 0....now it works perfectly:)

IF [Total FV]>"0" THEN "REC" ELSE "PAY" ENDIF

That implies that the Total FV field is not numeric; it's probably worth making sure it's numeric if you're wanting to use > or < functions, to ensure you always get the results you expect downstream! 

peter987
5 - Atom

Thank you ever so, Andy!

Hope this helps other users too cause I couldn't get the hang of it for ages:)

andyuttley
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

No problem 🙂 

Labels