Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to view output for a macro??

njohn56
6 - Meteoroid

How can I view a macro outputs to troubleshoot, Im unable to view it when opening the macro??

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @njohn56 

Debugging macros is not an obvious process.  The first place to start is by making sure all macro messages are displayed in the calling workflow

danilang_0-1592146266699.png

With this checked, all the messages that would normally show up in the macro results window will show up in the calling program for each iteration of the macro, like this

danilang_1-1592146424964.png

Often times this is not enough.  This is where Message and API Output tools come in. 

The Message tool will output a specific message to the result window.  Adding this Message tool to the macro

danilang_2-1592146793164.png

adds these specific messages to the output window.  See Calling.yxmd for an example

danilang_3-1592146850319.png

The API Output tool will the send the contents of any data stream to the result window.  Adding one to a Standard or Batch macro(it's not allowed in Iterative macros for some reason) will add 2 sets of rows to output, a header row and one row for each row of data (Callingbatch.yxmd)

danilang_4-1592147566932.png

Dan

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @njohn56 ,

As a leader in the Alteryx Community, I have the ability to identify & mark accepted solutions on behalf of community members - and recently did so on this thread. If you have any questions or concerns with the solution(s) I selected please let me know by replying to this post.

I just wanted to add a big kudos to @danilang for the creative use of the API tool. Very clever!

As the original author, you also have the ability to mark replies as solutions! Going forward, I’d encourage you to identify the solution or solutions that helped you solve your problem, as it's a big help to other community members. Learn more about Accepted Solutions here.

Thank you!

Labels