Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to update specific columns in google sheet?

soncoku
9 - Comet

Greetings everyone.

I have a workflow that at the end it outputs the result to an existing google sheet.

That google sheet has 10 columns. My workflow output has only 8.

Every time I run the workflow it updates  the values on the first 8 columns but it also removes the last 2 columns, which are comments, and should stay there.

I know that for excel you can specify the columns you want to be updated but I couldn't see that option for google sheets.

s.PNG

Does anyone have any ideas.

5 REPLIES 5
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @soncoku , I guess you can simply create two columns using a formula tool  as the same name you have in the google sheet and implement it in your workflow keeping the values of those 2 columns as null making the number of columns to be 10 unless those comment columns that you specified in the google sheet are empty or null?

Does this solves the problem?

PS: Also when you are updating the sheet what option are you using from the Choose Write Option because this scenario usually occurs when you are overwriting the existing sheet?

Sapna Gupta
soncoku
9 - Comet

Some of the fields of the 2 columns (Comment1 and Comment2 ) are empty.

I'm using Overwrite Sheet.

Should I be using another one?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@soncoku ,there are only 2 options that will work on the sheet that is either append or overwrite. In case you will try the append option it will give you another row with the updated values which I guess you do not want. The only option is overwriting the file.

1) For example I have a sheet with already existing data as follows,

grazitti_sapna_0-1591264492751.png

2) Now I want to Change the values in column A4 with Record ID 3 replacing FGVD with 1234 and ### with  Test2 having new input as follows,

grazitti_sapna_1-1591265106065.png

3)Then you need to Create 2 workflows one for updating the values then store the output into an excel sheet and the other one to overwrite the google sheet.

Workflow 1

grazitti_sapna_2-1591265694552.png

Workflow 2

grazitti_sapna_3-1591265745796.png

4) Final Output

grazitti_sapna_4-1591265775403.png

This is what I tried and I hope this helps you.

Sapna Gupta
soncoku
9 - Comet

I think this is it actually...

Could you please also share the workflow file and I'll try it as soon as I get back to the pc?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@soncoku , sure attaching the workflows. Please add google sheet credentials to it.

Use Workflow-GoogleSheets first then use Workflow-GoogleSheets1.

Cheers!

Sapna Gupta
Labels