Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to open newer version yxzp files?

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

Recently upgraded to 2018.2. Previously when opening a workflow created in a newer version, we would open the workflow in [Notepad>adjust the version>Save As] to be able to view the workflow in our current version. No big deal. After upgrading, I've noticed that the Notepad trick is not working anymore(spits out symbols). Also noticed that every workflow that I've tried to open is now a YXZP file and not a YXMD. Is there a workaround for this?

7 REPLIES 7
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

YXZP is a packaged Alteryx file.  So it includes workflows, macros, and data.  Double click, or open the yxwz package in Alteryx.  This will unpackage the contents into a folder (you can specify where).  Then go to that location and change the version of the yxmd in the folder as in the past.  

The xml change of the yxzp will not work, as it is a zip file.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @No-Sass 

I recently did this version trick with Notepad++ and it worked fine. Also, .yxmd and .yxzp still both exist.

Are you sure you're not trying to open encrypted workflows?

Cheers,

Claje
14 - Magnetar

You can also unzip a YXZP file using any traditional Zip program (winrar, 7zip, etc).  They are just regular zip files with an extension that Alteryx can recognize (so it knows to try unzipping them, rather than to try reading them in as data).

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

@scottj wrote:

YXZP is a packaged Alteryx file.  So it includes workflows, macros, and data.  Double click, or open the yxwz package in Alteryx.  This will unpackage the contents into a folder (you can specify where).  Then go to that location and change the version of the yxmd in the folder as in the past.  

The xml change of the yxzp will not work, as it is a zip file.

System was not allowing to unzip this due to not being compatible versions. Opened with an unzipping program then was able to adjust via Notepad.

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

@Claje wrote:

You can also unzip a YXZP file using any traditional Zip program (winrar, 7zip, etc).  They are just regular zip files with an extension that Alteryx can recognize (so it knows to try unzipping them, rather than to try reading them in as data).

This worked. Thank you!

Iris123
5 - Atom

Hi I tried to use traditional zip program (Winzip) but it doesn't work for me. Do you directly unzip it after download the yxzp file? 

shahni17
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

One can directly open .yxzp file into Alteryx (File-open workflow) then it will ask if one wants to import everything. 

Labels