Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to link specific rows

Saim
5 - Atom

Hi all,

So I'm trying to link specific rows to each other. I've attached a screenshot. As per the screenshot I would like for every Inspection and Audit_id a corrosponding row of Audits & Findings from the Category column. What tool should I be using for this?

Cheers.

6 REPLIES 6
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Saim 

It looks to me you have unioned the data together?

If you want the rows to be next to one another you will need to join them on a value. Is there a common value across the two sources?

Dazzerman
11 - Bolide

From what I can see from your data, it looks like you should be joining the Zone field from your first dataset to your Zonee field in the second.  Give that a try and see if it moves you forward.

Saim
5 - Atom

Yes its a union. So the grand idea is to make an image with coordinates in Tableau with this as the datasource. Each Zonee column has 3 coordinates that's why when i use the common value Zone to join them I get duplicate values. So i figured I'd use a union and afterwards somehow relate the data. The important thing is that all the Inspection/Audits get a coordinate and I don't get duplicates

Dazzerman
11 - Bolide

Hi again @Saim,

Depending on the shape of your data, there are different ways to get rid of the duplicates.  The question is what rules to use to remove the duplicates.  Most likely you can use a Unique tool, specifying key fields to eliminate the duplicates, but a Summarize tool can also be helpful in some circumstances.

If you still get stuck, maybe you can share a spreadsheet with extracts of the two datasets and we can take a look at the best way for you.

Saim
5 - Atom

Ugh I'm so slow. That did it, thank you!

Dazzerman
11 - Bolide

Great stuff!

Labels