Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to find the fist not null cell?

LeiCheng
8 - Asteroid

I have many columns in my table, and want to find out the first not null data cell in these columns, and pick it out into a new column. Someone knows how to do it? As below table, the starting number is wanted result.

Nameno.1no.2no.3no.4no.5the starting number
a123451
b 23452
c  3453
d   454
e123451
f1 3451
g1  451
5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LeiCheng ,

if you transpose your data (group by name), you can filter !IsNull(value) and then sample with Group by name and get first 1 record s. 

then you can create a formula for a new field starting number with a formula of "starting number". You're ready to cross tab with a group by starting number. Header is starting number and value of value. 

join this data back to your original data and you should have it. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LeiCheng ,

Here's a workflow to show you how to configure the tools.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
LeiCheng
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew thanks for your clear solution! I used Filter and  write a very long formula to solve this, but actually, your way is much more flexible for further use.

daniellefzimmerman
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much for posting your workflow. I modified it a bit for my specific needs, but the solution was a lifesaver. 

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

This worked great for exactly a solution I needed, but I do have rows that are all blank and I want to include that if there are no values at all, to enter a string value (for example if all cells are empty/NULL then enter "Overdue"). 

What would be the best way to approach that?

Labels