Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to add a subtotal row to sum values belonging to specific categories

JoRao
8 - Asteroid

Hello - 

I am trying to replicate an excel summary table showing a row with subtotal for the categories above it. Table 1 is how I currently have the data formatted and Table 2 is how I want it to ultimately look like. How would I achieve adding a subtotal row in alteryx?

Thanks much!
Table 1.PNG

Table 2.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @JoRao

There are many ways to tackle this, but I would take the approach of using a "grouping category", Summarize tool, and Union tool set to a specfic output order.  Let us know if the attached workflow works for you.

Capture.PNG

wenjuanchen
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JoRao, you can also cross tab each of your data type (actual, budget, variance), calculate the sum of Printers, Furniture and Paper Total, then transpose them, and finally join them together (as shown below and in the attached workflow).

Capture.PNG

JoRao
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @ddiesel. This is very helpful. How would I modify the work flow if I have region on the first column and want the final output table to look like this: 

Table with Region field.PNG

JoRao
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @wenjuanchen

JoRao
8 - Asteroid

Ignore my question @ddiesel. I figured it can be done by adding Region to the summarize tool as well. 

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@JoRao glad it worked for you!

Labels