Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to achieve SDLC Step in Alteryx

geop31794
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

Recently I was asked in an interview that how to handle SDLC steps in Alteryx?

As you might all know that there are few steps in SDLC:

1. Requirement Gathering

2. Software Design (Pre-Design)

3. Implementation and Coding

4. Testing

5. Maintenance

Actually I went blank with this question. Is it possible to achieve these steps in Alteryx and if yes then how.

I know that coding, testing and maintenance is easily achievable in Alteryx but for the first two points I had no clue.

Can anyone share some light on me would be very grateful. 

4 REPLIES 4
MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

Hi @geop31794 ,

I typically do these steps outside of the software (Word, Excel, on paper, etc.) but if you have an implementation of Alteryx server you could set up an app to act as a survey to prompt the stakeholders for written responses about their goals and compile those goals into a single data source. This method also allows you to create an ongoing feedback mechanism for further development. 

As far as software design goes you could lay out a framework using tool containers with just a select tool in each. Each tool contain can be labeled as what you would do in that step and if needed you could outline things in more depth using comment tools. This can also allow you to create diagrams showing how individual pieces relate to one another as a form of documentation.

Does that help?

Best,

Michael

geop31794
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichaelLaRose 

The answer is quite descriptive but I failed to understand how exactly Alteryx Server has a role here. Suppose any person is having just Alteryx Designer and not the server then does that mean I would not be able to achieve my goal. How exactly will the app help the stakeholders to compare their goals with existing product.

Moreover would be really helpful if you could demonstrate with a simple example. I guess not only me but in future anyone is looking for same content would be really helpful.

Thank you for the time and efforts. God bless you. 

MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

Hi @geop31794 ,

With respect to Alteryx Server:

When the organization is specifically using Alteryx Server's Gallery, or you have a web page with an app embeded, You can use the Alteryx App interface as a basic survey form to collect requirements, and gauge the importance of different aspects of the intended development. The benefit of doing this is that once the App is run the data is already in the intended format and can be written to the desired final location. This is not possible with just Alteryx designer unless each person you want to solicit feedback from has Alteryx Designer or you are going to have someone with Alteryx Designer enter the information on behalf of others. This is not the best way to gather requirements but if you are looking for a way to describe how Alteryx can serve the Requirements Gathering requirement of SDLC both at an initial stage and as a feedback mechanism it can be done like this.

Below is a simple example of using Alteryx as a survey interface like this.

I have also attached an image of using Alteryx to outline the software development procession.

Best,

Michael

geop31794
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichaelLaRose ,

Now I understood completely. The efforts taken by you is fabulous and thank you for sharing knowledge.

I'm sure many here will use your comments and workflow for better understanding. Thanks a lot once again and thumps up for the explanation. 

God bless you mate.

Regards,

George

Labels