Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do you use apps from Alteryx Gallery?

Inactive User
Not applicable

So I'm trying to use an app from the Alteryx Gallery in my workflow. I downloaded the app, but how do I go about actually dragging it into my workflow. Attached below is the app I want to use.

Polygon App.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @Inactive User, there is a key difference between macros and applications.

Applications are not designed to be used as developers within the Alteryx Designer product, they are designed to function stand alone, with some user parameters.

In the example you have posted the purpose is to load a .zip archive containing shape files and the app will generate a dataset allowing you to draw the piece using the polygon chart type in tableau (it's worth noting that you can now connect directly to .shp files directly from within Alteryx which you were not able to do when this macro was released). 

You can run an app either in the browser, or on your local machine. Simply double click the .yxwz (app) file and it will open the wizard.

You can make ammendments to the app from within Alteryx designer by right clicking on the file and hitting 'edit'.

There is a macro available for this tool which will allow you to add it to a workflow, the installer file can be found in this blog post:

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2015/06/05/using-alteryx-to-create-tableau-filled-maps-2/

Ben

Inactive User
Not applicable

Okay thanks for the info! I was just a little confused because I was reading a blog and the app looked like it was directly in the workflow. I'm sure it was the maco version. Attached below is the image of the workflow I saw.

Alteryx Workflow.PNG

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I do remember similar actually.

I've just had a hunt around our companies share drive (I work with the author of the macro) and have found the version of the macro you can see in that workflow.

I have attached this alongside one of it's dependencies as a .7z file which you can extract and then use the macro within a workflow. To use a macro in a workflow you can right click on your canvas, hit 'insert' and then 'macro' at the bottom, then navigate to the macro in the location where you exported the 7z file.

Ben

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank You for the help! This got me going in the right direction.

Labels