Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I extract part of a string from Field Info?

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

How do I go about extracting a portion of the Field info string?

I have a set of Excel files that I need to pull 3 digits from the filename and am trying to do that via the field info string.

All of the files have 12 leading alpha numeric characters. I need to extract positions 10-12 and am not up to speed on reg-ex.

Sample: 1234-678-012... the "678" position numbers are the same with all the files, so I'm sure it's possible to pull the 3 characters to the right of the "678-" string, I don't know reg-ex well enough yet.

7 REPLIES 7
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You don't need regex for this one. If you just need the 10th - 12th characters use a substring function in a formula tool. If the string is in field F1: 

Substring([F1],9,3)

(You need to start from character 9 because string position numbering starts at 0.)

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @sonseeahray ,

Based on your example only I used the following tool:

I used this formula => REGEX_Replace([Field1], '^\d+\-(\d+)\-(.*)', '$1')

Sin título.png

Based on what you tell you could also use the following => Substring([Field1],10,3)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

@TonyA @afv2688 You guys are awesome! I am going to hold on to both of these! Thank you!

nicoarmisen
5 - Atom

Hi @afv2688 ,

maybe yo can help me hier. I need to "translate" from SQL the following expression:

UPDATE Tmp_Station_Details_All_Slc
SET Main_Station = 'N'
WHERE SUBSTR(STATION_CODE,5,2)='38' AND COUNTRY_CODE ='DE';

I need to extract first the last two characters from the station code and if it is equal to 38 and the country code is DE upgrade Main_Station as 'N'. Is not, then do Nothing.

Thank you in advance!

Nico

aihnen
8 - Asteroid

Use formula tool on the column Main_Station with an IF statement with 2 conditions

IF

SUBSTRING(STATION_CODE, 5, 2) = '38'

AND

COUNTRY_CODE = 'DE'

THEN

Main_Station = 'N'

ENDIF

Linguine
7 - Meteor

This is my solution!!

Linguine
7 - Meteor