Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

How To: Send Emails Through Gmail Using the Alteryx Email Tool

apolly
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Prerequisites

• Alteryx Designer all versions
  • Gmail account
  • Note: G-Suite (paid version of Gmail) may not be compatible with the Email tool.

Procedure

Step 1:  Configure an "App Password" in your Google Account

1. Log in to your Google account
  2. Click your avatar in the upper right
  3. Click Google Account > Manage Your Google Account
  4. Click Security and scroll to the Signing in to Google section
  5. Ensure you have 2-Step Verification ON
  6. Click ">" next to App passwords
  7. Choose Select App = Mail and Select Device = Other
  8. Click Generate
  9. Copy this password (it has spaces in it) to use in the next section.
The above process is documented by Google

Step 2: Configure the Email Tool

Configure the Email Tool as shown below.  Use the password generated above instead of the password you typically use to log in to Gmail in the Password section below:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Additional Resources

To configure a Gmail account for the Server product's email notification:
Comments
ztahir004
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

Thanks for the detailed example. 

I still receive an error: " Email (2) Record#1: Login denied." Can you help with this?

apolly
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
@ztahir004 , I would reach out to Customer Support, they are best to help with this issue.
ekarmanov
7 - Meteor

Hi @apolly  - thank you for the helpful write-up on using the email tool with Gmail.

I'm on Alteryx version 2019.3 and I'm using the email batch macro developed by @Claje to send multiple emails to various recipients through Gmail.

The good news is that I've been able to configure the macro to send out emails! I've previously tested it with other files

But unfortunately, the recipients of my emails have attachments that are broken/unusable - see below.

When I open the same files before sending them, or when I send them via normal Gmail process (in individual emails), these files are all good.

How do I go about troubleshooting this? Is this a problem with the macro, the email tool, or something else?

Thank you for your insights.

1) The pdf files I'm sending have all useful content missing. When I open the files, I receive several error messages as follows.

Pdf file Error_combined.PNG

2) The excel file I'm sending won't open and has the following errors:

Excel file error_combined.PNG

apolly
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
@ekarmanov Thanks for raising this issue, I was unaware. The fastest way to have the problem reviewed is to reach out to customer support. But now that I am aware, I will try to find time to investigate, though this can be less reliable than reaching out to support.
ekarmanov
7 - Meteor

Hi @apolly - I contacted customer support and have a ticket open (Case #00308391) for this issue in case you're able to follow on your end.

Thanks,

Eugene

ekarmanov
7 - Meteor

A quick update on what Alteryx Support have come back with:

"It seems the issue is in the actual workflow. Unfortunately, Alteryx Support deals with actual product issues, but it is unfortunately, outside our scope to build or troubleshoot custom workflows. As such I would recommend to reach out to @Claje  (an Alteryx ACE)."

cc @apolly 

hardikkanabar
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Can alteryx send emails using secure voltage emails?

MichaelAd
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ekarmanov,

We have been able to reproduce the issue and a product defect has been logged.

Currently, we have no ETA for a release of a fix to share. However, in the meantime feel free to use the following workaround. Instead of using a hard coded free text for the body, use the "Use Field" option for the body.

Thanks.

Abhi31
6 - Meteoroid

Hi , 

Thanks for the in-detail procedure. I tried everything like described but i'm getting error "Record#1:Couldn't connect to server'

Can you please help me fix the issue ?

rtablate
5 - Atom

Hi,

I've encountered an error. For your checking.

rtablate_0-1631001020876.png

Thanks,

RIcky

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Hello Alteryx Team,

Can anyone help on these as i am unable to send email since google has turn it off

To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, ​​Google no longer supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Important: This deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.

rbirch
5 - Atom

Rohit,

Was having the same issue starting a couple weeks ago. Implemented the below and it worked.

1. How to fix To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022 , Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices that only ask for your username and password for you error?

To fix To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022 , Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices that only ask for your username and password for you error You need to do Is Just Create App Password and then Use it and you'll be able to use SMTP. Just follow the below step to Create App Password. First of all Login into Your Gmail Account. And then Go To MyAccount Section By visiting https://myaccount.google.com  Then Open Security Tab in the Sidebar As Shown in the Image. Then You can see There is Signing in to Google section and Make Sure you have turn on two steps verification if Not Then Turn On two steps verification. When You Turn On Your 2-Step Verification then you'll be able to see App Passwords option. And Now Click on App Passwords. Then select app as Mail and select your corresponding device. Then Click on Generate to create App Password. And You are Done. Now your app Password is been created and You are now able to Use this password in Your SMTP. Just Use this Password in SMTP And Now, Your error must be solved. Thank You.