Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How Calculate optimal warehouse locations

Thorntonb
6 - Meteoroid

I have a set of data that contains the lat,lng/ address of all my customers as well as the amount of product they have purchased within the last year. I would like to run that data through an Alteryx workflow and calculate what the optimal locations are for a specific number of warehouses. For example, I would like to be able to enter 12 and get 12 optimized warehouse locations. The other factor I would like to take into account is the purchase amount for each customer. So rather than using straight-line distace, I would like to use a weighted distance which is the distance from a customer to the potential warehouse multiplied by that customers purchased goods. Is there any way to do something like this within Alteryx? I have been trying for many hours but can not seem to get anything to work.

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Thorntonb 

Any time you're asking for help on a complex question like this it's always best to attach some sample data.  

Just off the top of my head though, you should look into the Optimization tool. 

Dan 

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Thorntonb 

I'm with @danilang on the Optimization. Specifically. you could try the location Optimization macro to help solve your problem.

https://help.alteryx.com/2018.1/index.htm#LocationOptimizationAllocate.htm

Let me know if this helps

Cheers!

Esther

Thorntonb
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, @estherb47 that macro is exactly what I was looking for! much appreciate the help. i will be sure to include a data file next time 

Labels