Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Hotkeys/shortcuts

Configurable hotkeys/keyboard shortcuts would be awesome.  For instance, select/deselect highlighted fields or remove prefix are two commands that I use frequenctly but which are buried in menus.

Being able to assign hotkeys to favourite tools would be another time saver.  Imagine, ctrl-alt-F and a formula appears under the cursor!

10 Comments
fnb
5 - Atom

Totally agree. Or at least permit "Alt"-type navigation. For instance, I have memorized many Excel keystrokes to do things sans mouse (e.g., Alt -> h -> b -> s, which outlines current selection). I imagine myself configuring a tool (wrench icon) and then quickly changing the annotation w/out lifting my fingers from the keyboard.

mcarrico
9 - Comet

As a former CAD user and keyboard junkie, I would love to be able to assign keyboard shortcuts to commonly used tools and workspace operations.  

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

The ability to assign hotkeys to pull tools and macros onto the canvas would be nice. It could be embedded in the Meta Info of the tool.

oliver_huber
7 - Meteor

Couldn't agree more. Either working keyboard-only in VIM or in Alteryx - makes your head spin at some stage ;)

JPA
5 - Atom

Shortcuts.pngPersonally, I'm trying to migrate from excel to alteryx, but the lack of shortcuts make it much more time consuming.

It would be great if there were some shortcuts in the right click of the mouse (the same way as excel has). This way, we could, for example, use the right alt to simulate a right click in the tool and select the next tool using this shortcuts (as you can see in the picture).

AlexL
7 - Meteor

Custom hotkeys would be a great enhancement!

I.e. - I would like a custom hotkey to drop the output icon.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

This is a great idea! Thanks for the addition to our Ideas forum. We don't have this on the road map for the next year, but we'll keep this in mind. 

Hedge29
6 - Meteoroid

Benefit for Alteryx: One of the reasons Excel is successful is definitely the shortcuts - this is a huge barrier to transfer to Google Sheets for instance. 

Benefit for user: Save a lot of time - A short key for 'add to new container', for instance, would be fantastic.

@Alteryx, please consider adding a few more shortcuts!

nickmphx
5 - Atom

Just commenting in the hope that this idea gets revisited

Rain7
6 - Meteoroid

Just commenting also in the hope that this gets revisited.