Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Highlight the parenthesis that matches the one next to your cursor.

When writing a good amount of code, it is easy to get lost in a sea of parentheses.  Just when you think you're all done, you get an error that can force you to scour through your code to find the missing, extra, or misplaced parenthesis. 

A common feature today is to highlight a parenthesis when its partner is clicked on.  This instantly lets you know if you have the wrong number of them and where. 

I didn't think this was that important early on in Alteryx, at least for me.  Formulas were meant to be short and easily readable at a glance.  Now as I dig deeper, there's R, Python, SQL and other text-heavy inputs. 

I don't need a full-fledged text editor in Alteryx, but I would love some quality of life features like parentheses matching.

4 Comments
vepp
8 - Asteroid

Vote 1

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Coming Soon

You should see it implemented in an upcoming release!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for Amplifying Alteryx! This idea was implemented in that SQL Editor and the R tool now have color for easier reading and tracking of parentheses.

This functionality hasn't been added to the Formula, Python or other Text Input tools at this point however due to this feature requiring a different set of criteria. If you would still be interested in this functionality for the Formula, Python or other Text Input tools, please feel free to post another idea and we would be happy to have it reviewed by our Product team.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think it would be great if this functionality could be added to the formula tool as well so I started it as a new idea here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Highlight-Matching-Parenthesis-in-Formula-To...