Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help with Python tool

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

My work computer doesn't allow me to modify within the C drive. How can I use the Python tool given that hurdle since it appears that the Python Tool has to create the PythonTool_Venv folder to properly run? My error -- "could not change dir to C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\PythonTool_Venv\Scripts, jupyter.exe won't execute to run workbook. Install is broken."

9 REPLIES 9
SydneyF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jmstampe,

Are you installing an Admin or Non-Admin version of Alteryx on your work machine? If you are having trouble with the Admin version, can you perhaps try non-admin and see if the issue persists?

Thanks!

Sydney

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid
@SydneyF thanks for reaching out. I’m still learning the core ropes of Alteryx, hoping to try the core certification soon😆. How would one be able to determine the install difference?
jmstampe
8 - Asteroid
Ah I see it in the Help > About section. It’s Alteryx Admin Designer.

There is no way to alter the directory change and point it to AppData is there?
SydneyF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jmstampe,

The non-admin version of Designer will install to AppData by default.  During the installation process for Designer (both admin and non-admin) you do have the option to specify a different installation location, so theoretically it could possible to install an admin version to the default non-admin location. 

2018-12-17_8-00-57.png

Have you attempted to modify the destination folder during installation? If so, do you still see an error? 

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid
I see what you’re saying and that makes sense. Unfortunately, our IT .Org dictates what and how we install things to our laptops. Mostly security reasons which I get. Looks like I’ll be chatting with them😆. Much appreciated!!!
WillBowman
9 - Comet
If you want to use python to run processing scripts, you should consider using the Run Command node to run via command line instead of the python tool.

Hopefully they let you modify your path variables!
WillBowman
9 - Comet
If you want to use python to run processing scripts, you should consider using the Run Command node to run via command line instead of the python tool.

Hopefully they let you modify your path variables!
jmstampe
8 - Asteroid
I considered that too given I actually have the Python SDK on my computer...funny the irony in that and my issue above haha.

Much appreciated!!
jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

Thought I would provide an update that there were some missing folders/files that did not install properly to my drive.  Fortunately, our tech team reinstalled and it works.  Much appreciated to all for the suggestions.

Labels