Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Have an SQL Tool

I constantly find my using pre and post SQL Commands in the Output tool to run SQL when I don't actually have any data to output.

One example is when I load data into S3 and want to load it into Redshift. I have SQL code to run but no data to Output - I end up running a dummy row into a temp table.

So can we have an SQL tool that simply acts the same as a Pre-SQL command without the associated data output. Once the command is run we should be able to continue the workflow, so the tool should have an option input and output, like the Run Command tool.

32 Comments
simon
11 - Bolide

I agree with more functionality for pre-post sql statements AND make them actionable so we can dynamically update these fields through an app!

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Thanks for all of the votes on this idea.

In order to evaluate next steps, we'd like to better understand the use cases for this. Please respond with any specifics for how you're using the pre and post SQl statements.

@chris_love, have you tried the Redshift bulk load functionality to avoid the issue you describe when loading data from S3 to Redshift?

Thanks,

Alex

rdoptis
11 - Bolide
Additionally, the current pre/post SQL fields in the input/output tools seem to have row or character limits - this prevents them from being used for longer multipart SQL scripts. Ryan
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This capabilty would be very helpful.
Case:
- set of tables which are joined by foreign keys.   For example a product table (dimension) holds the products; and the sales Fact table holds sales of the product with a foreign key to product
- If I need to load new versions of the product dimension - I may need to first amend the sales fact table
- To do this - it would be very helpful to have a SQL too which has an input connector, can run a SQL statement (delete * from sales where product = X), preferrably dynamic, and then an output connector to pass control and the working results to the next step which updates the Product Dim

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Morten_Lorenzen
5 - Atom

Use case:

Im building an incremental load to a table. Before loading data i need to delete all existing records with dates that exist in my new data set. 

It would be very helpful to have a sql tool that can execute commands and take in variables, like a date for records to be deleted. 

bpschoon
7 - Meteor

I have a very similar use case at Morten_Lorenzen. 

pmo511
5 - Atom

I have just started using Alteryx after many years of using MS SSIS and am shocked that an execute SQL tool doesn't exist - seems primitive (and limiting) to have to use the pre and post SQL commands... An In-Database tool should be created to run a SQL command.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback on this. At this time, we don't have plans to build a full-blown SQL tool, but will continue to make enhancements to the functionality around the pre- and post- SQL statements.

Best,

Alex

r4upadhye
11 - Bolide

Not Planned? Its rather a much needed feature......!!!!!!

I believe Alteryx should be able to at least convert a workflow into a SQL code if not the other way round.

A SQL Output Tool is much needed than a SQL Input.

It would save lot of time.