Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Handling split input

andrewplaice
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Brand new to Alteryx as a user (but familiar with its capabilities).  I am trying to read and separately work two areas of an excel file.

In one area I am trying to pull in cells A9-M25 and in another area of the spreadsheet I am trying to pull in  A40-N63.  Each dataset will get different treatment, but are essentially being consolidated to another workbook as an output (not much data wrangling once I can isolate the data).

What are the strategies for this?  Do I run two separate inputs and handle as two workflows?  I am sure there is a more elegant solution but can't seem to figure out how to Select two different areas of the original sheet.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @andrewplaice,

the cell ranges have different amount of columns, therefore I wouldn't recommend going with a Dynamic Input.

I'd use two Input Tools and process it in one workflow. The Input Tool offers you to import only selected ranges:

grossal_0-1588177571670.png

If this option isn't available (it's a feature of 2020.1), you could go two routes:

1) Create Name Ranges in the Excel and use "Select a named range" or

2) Import everything with one Input and separate the data in the workflow using Tools like Sample Tool or Select Records.

Hope this helps.

Best

Alex

andrewplaice
8 - Asteroid

Two inputs will work.  Thanks for the feedback!

Labels