Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Get rid of Original Column in Text to Columns

After using the Text to Columns tool, I generally find myself using a Select tool to get rid of the original field that I split up. Could an option be added in the config to automatically delete this field once it is split to columns?

8 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be convenient

DanielG
12 - Quasar

Yes please!  🙂

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I like the idea @Kenda, but I wonder if embedded selects make the process run slower (microscopically).  My observation is that selects create memory/disk versions of the data (depending upon amount of available memory).  I tend not to add too many selects in the workflows.  I do agree that this is a reasonable ask.

Cheers,

Mark

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

In addition to this maybe deselect the split fields that contain no data,

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for posting to the Alteryx Community! We like your idea but can't put it on the road map at this time. But we'd like to keep this idea in mind for when or if we can apply it to the road map.

JohanRanschaert
8 - Asteroid

would be great!!!

Ruud
10 - Fireball

To me this is a no-brainer, and this suggestion has come up in different forms as well.

While it's often just inconvenient to have to have a Select Tool after splitting to columns, you can completely blow up your flow if you parse to rows, because you're multiplying the data times the number of seperators in a field, and with .dsv/.csv responses from a Download Tool, this can be thousands.

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello,

95% of the time, concerns every single user AND easy to implement=> no-brainer.

Best regards,

Simon