Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Full Path Contains Triple Pipe (|||) Between File Name and Tab Name

arizzio
7 - Meteor

I recently updated to version 2018.2.  When using an Input tool and selecting Full Path for Output File Name as Filed the full file path now has three pipes between the file name and tab name. It looks like this: C:\AlteryxFiles\test.xlsx|||`Tab A$`

Is this now the standard for Alteryx?  I wanted to double check that it is not a bug on my end. This is affecting some of my modules as I used the | as a delimiter to breakout the tab name.  I now have to trim off the two excess pipes.

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Answer = Yes, it now seems to be a standard. Why, no idea! Happened a couple of versions ago!

Ben

arizzio
7 - Meteor

Thanks!  It's a quick fix but seems to be an odd change.

NickC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

Worth pointing out that using one pipe will also still work.  Not sure why its changed to 3 either.

Nick

Claje
14 - Magnetar

I'm not going to be able to speak completely to Alteryx's motivation for the triple pipe, but I think at least part of it was related to issues reading in values inside of connection strings which contained valid pipe characters.  In the past, any Pipe would be read as a delimiter for Alteryx, causing some connections to be non-functional.

Delimiting via a triple pipe significantly mitigates the potential for valid connection strings to include the character, allowing for better functionality in these edge cases.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@arizzio,

@Claje is correct in his answer as to why we are using the triple pipe.

Thanks @Claje!

Dan

Labels