Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula to calculate cascading amounts in prior months

Jaslusser12
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am trying to write a formula in Alteryx based on a template I have created in Excel to calculate cascading prior months amounts. I have attached an excel file to illustrate the formula I am trying to create. 

To calculate the total for 1-2017 in cell C25, this sums the amount in the current month (Month 0 column) + the amount from the prior month (Month 1 column) + the amount from two months prior (Month 2 column) + the amount from 3 months prior (Month 3 column). 

See attached excel example.

Does anyone know how to create this in Alteryx?

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Jaslusser12,

Using a mult-row formula tool (set for Num Rows = 3 in configuration), the following formula can be used to create a column (TOTAL) on each record.

[Month 0] +
[Row-1:Month 1] +
[Row-2:Month 2] +
[Row-3:Month 3]

Your data however needs to be configured to start reading data on line #2 (Input tool option #7).  In the real data, you should be okay, but in this mock data, you need to use a SELECT tool and make sure that all of the month data is numeric.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Jaslusser12
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks! This worked perfect.

Appreciate the prompt response, too.

Labels