Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Tool Returning 0 or -1 instead of String Text based off Conditional If Statement

Jmills040
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to get the ACTION_REASON_DESCRIPTION field to return Terminated, Retired, or Death, based off the conditional IF Statement Below. The Data Type is V_W String, yet the output is returned as either 0 or -1. I have tried every string data type possible and the output remains 0 or -1. I do not understand why I am getting this output rather than what I specified in my Formula Tool Expression.

If StatementIf StatementOutput Field and Data TypeOutput Field and Data TypeWhat is being returnedWhat is being returned

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
IF 
[Employee_Status] = 'T' THEN 'Terminated'  ELSEIF
[Employee_Status] = 'R' THEN 'Retired'  ELSEIF
[Employee_Status] = 'D' THEN 'Death'  
ELSE
Null()
ENDIF

very close!  You don't need to specify the new variable in the syntax.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ashissanpui
9 - Comet

This formula should be written to the specific field. In this particular example, the field name should be [ACTION_REASON_DESCRIPTION].

dipika07011988
6 - Meteoroid

You can specify column name as in the attached image by selecting column drop down and selecting add column

dipika07011988_0-1623436788768.png

Labels