Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find & Replace variable string counts

MNewt9
7 - Meteor

All,

While performing a workflow I am able to identify a series of reference numbers that have a missing cost in the price field.  I have a query to a database that can locate the cost (assuming there is a valid cost populated) based on reference number or date range.  After identifying the reference numbers with missing cost regardless of count (sometimes 5, others 20, or even 100, etc.) I would like to perform a find and replace using the secondary query to locate the cost regardless of the reference # count.  

Example:  Workflow identified 13 reference numbers with no cost in the price field.  Secondary query locates the missing cost.  Find and replace in original workflow the null values with the cost.  Next reporting period there are 38 w/ no cost.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MNewt9 

All of what you described should be very possible with Alteryx. Your example sounds like a good plan of action. To give specific recommendations/workflow advise, I think it would help to have some sample data or field schemas so we can recommend how this can actually come together. 

MNewt9
7 - Meteor

Hello @CharlieS 

Does this help?  My secondary query returned 2 of the 3 null values in my workflow.  I'd like to replace the nulls in the WF results w/ the secondary query results.  Ideally this would be a dynamic solve.  In a given reporting time frame I may have 3, 9, 100, null values.  It'd vary depending on the project.

Initial WF with Cost Secondary Query Results
REF_NOPPU PART_IDCOST
508510$200 509139$17
508754$205 509281 
509013$195 509415$88
509014$188   
509927$175   
509926$900   
509928$880   
509917$1,703   
509933$75   
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks for that, @MNewt9 

Here's the idea: we'll use a Join tool to match replacements where we can, and then Union those records that matched+replaced with those that didn't need any more info. 

20200226-UpdateCosts.PNG

Check out the attached example and let me know what you think.

MNewt9
7 - Meteor

So simple.  I guess I was overthinking it.

This should work regardless of my null value counts from initial WF.

I'm only a couple months into Alteryx.

Thank you sir.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm glad that worked out for you. You may be new to Alteryx, but continued participation on the Community will help all of us grow our skills. Happy Alteryx-ing!

Also, FYI, the Community practice is to mark the post(s) that provided the solution.

Labels