Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter for Not Null on Multiple Fields without changing Layout

ajapczynski
5 - Atom

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has already been answered in another post. I keep running into this same issue. How can I filter out Null columns on multiple fields without changing row orientation? I received a dataset in PDF format and when I convert the PDF to excel it merges most of my data all into one cell, so then I am left with a bunch of null fields. However, there could be some straggling data out in a random cell somewhere so it's important that the rows remain consistent. I have attached a sample data for example. The first tab is the input and the second tab is my desired output. Any help is much appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Personally, I would change the row orientation, using the transpose tool, and then using a single filter, mainly because that makes the process dynamic.

You could also use a simple statement like...

!ISNULL([FieldA])

AND

!ISNULL([FieldB])

AND

!ISNULL([FieldC])

etc....

And this I guess is an example of why I would transpose the data, as this could become quite tedious and would require manual intervention should new fields be added to the source.

However, if you have Alteryx Designer 2020.2 there is now a feature built into the data cleansing tool to drop completely null columns, so might just be worth downloading that!

BEn

ajapczynski
5 - Atom

Just downloaded the new version. The data cleansing worked great! Thank you!

Labels