Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Register for the upcoming Live Community Q&A Session - and don't forget to submit your questions for @DeanS regarding the future role of analytics here.

Filling in Empty Cells in a Table

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I have an excel file that looks like this and I want to carry the data down as the red arrows show. I know how to write and if then formula in excel to quickly do this but would like to automate in an Alteryx workflow - any ideas on the most efficient way to do so? Thanks!

Highlighted
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

use a multi-row tool to update the existing field.

check to see if current value is empty, if so then use value above, otherwise use the current value. (see the attached workflow)

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

@jarrod thank you for your reply? Any chance you can save this for 32 bit or send a screenshot of the config? I am in the process of getting my company to upgrade me to 64 bit!

Highlighted
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Not a problem.

Here's the screenshot of the text input and the workflow. Every column you want to "fill" will be a new multi-row tool with the "Update Existing Field" option selected.

The formulas are below:

iif(isempty([Country]),[Row-1:Country],[Country])

iif(isempty([City]),[Row-1:City],[City])

FillDown.png

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi Jarrod,

Don't suppose you know how to fill up rather than down?  I tired by changing Row-1 to Row+1 but the problem is the next value above could be many rows above so only the first row above gets populated.  If I feed the output back in and effectively loop it, it will eventually fill them all in, but obviously that isn't very efficient!

thanks!

Highlighted
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

For that, you could try adding a recordId, sorting by recordId descending, run the formula, then sort by record I'd ascending. You might need to adjust the formula a bit depending on the data.

Labels