Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

File browser not working as expected, still defaulting to my local path

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am working on a WF where I am using a file browser and in the action I am selecting the Update value option since I am specifying the range with in the input file. But when I run the same package on the different machine, it is still defaulting to the path which was specified on the input file rather than the path which I am providing from the File browser interface.

Here is the screenshot of the action I am specifying, let me know if I am missing anything here?

Action.PNG

Thanks in Advance!

5 REPLIES 5
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@aparanjith1 In your action tool, you will need to click on the third line that starts with "File-Value=". Let me know if there are still issues after that!

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply Patrick, but since we have the range specified for the inputs we switched to using Update value with formula, but somehow it is still getting failed. Below is the screenshot of the formula we are using; can let me know if am I missing anything here? I am also attaching the package file for your reference.

Action2.PNG

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

I am still stuck at this step, since I am using File browser for the Excel range input, I am unable to make the file browser to select the range which is specified in the formula. Can someone please help me in this?

Thanks in advance!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@aparanjith1 Make sure your action tools with the update formulas all have the file-value line selected, and then we'll need to change your formulas to something like this (obviously each one would have its own range)

Replace([#1],"$`","$A6:U7`")

Capture2.PNG

When I used the interface designer (view >>> interface designer) and then the test view (second option of the 4), you can see that the file browse tools is passing the file and sheet name like this:

DummyData - Copy.xlsx|||`Sheet1$`

Capture.PNG

Ultimately, we want something like this in our input tool to grab range A6:U7

DummyData - Copy.xlsx|||`Sheet1$A6:U7`   >>>>> Filename.xlsx|||`Sheet Name$Range_Start:Range_End`

You can see the range comes between the $ and ` at very end. Thus we can use the replace function specified above to do that. The attached seemed to be working on my end.

Instead of reading the same file in several times to get the different excel ranges, you could read the entire sheet and then use a select records tool to grab just the rows of data that you want. You may have to change your input tool to check the box about first row contains data and then use select tools or dynamic rename tools to get the right field headers, but that may be better than reading in the same file so many times. Just a thought!

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply Patrick, that worked.

Labels