Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

File Management tools (copy, rename, delete)

I have many use cases that involve one or more of the following:
  • moving or renaming a file after importing it
  • deleting a file after importing it
  • moving or copying a file after successfully exporting it
  • writing a temporary file (i.e. batch file for RunCommand tool), then deleting it when finished
A complete suite of file management tools (Copy, Delete, Move/Rename) would make this much easier.
39 Comments
paul_houghton
12 - Quasar
This would be a fantastic addition. that would really strengthen the ETL processing of Alteryx. Currently I have to create a secondary work stream that checks what files have been processed already and exclude them from being added.
BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
I do often hear about these kinds of use cases.  We will consider this possibly for a future release.

Thanks for the idea,
Ben
ssjl
8 - Asteroid

Bump.

We have a need for these tools in the context of appending data into Calgary DB' based on union of new data and Calgary DB.

mburgess
5 - Atom

Agreed!  Although you can technically accomplish this by writing a batch file and then calling that, I really don't want to have to learn BAT file scripting too.  The batch file is also one more piece that has to be managed along with the workflow.  If the whole process could be accomplished within the workflow, that would be MUCH easier and more manageable.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

jonathandrummey
7 - Meteor

+1 for this feature.

Harbinger
9 - Comet

I logged in just to say how much this is needed! 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Absolutely agree on the usefulness of this - it's really common to import a file and then want to move it to an archive.

this would be a very useful capability

joao
8 - Asteroid

I get baffled how Alteryx doesn't have a basic "delete/copy/move" file function! 

pjohara
5 - Atom

Yes please!