Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fields not displaying for Sort tool

nnishapillai
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am very new to Alteryx. Just downloaded it and was going through the guided tour with a sample .yxdb file. Connected to the file through InputData tool and tried to use the Sort tool. But the fields are not getting displayed in the dropdown box of the Sort tool. Please help. Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @nnishapillai,

Have you connected the output anchor of the input tool through to the input anchor of the sort tool to create the connection between the two tools?

This allows the data to flow through both tools and therefore the fields too.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

nnishapillai
7 - Meteor

Hi Jonathan,

I had already tried connecting the output anchor of the InputData tool to the input anchor of the Sort tool. I am using a .yxdb file. I still can't see the fields in the dropdown box.

Regards,

Nisha

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Have you run your workflow?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @nnishapillai 

Can you post some images of your workflow and what you're seeing in the drop down of the sort tool

Dan

nnishapillai
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

I think I kind of figured out why it was happening. I hadn't activated the trial version of Alteryx. Once I did that, I can see the fields in the dropdown.

Thanks a lot @danilang and @jonathan

Regards,

nnishapillai
7 - Meteor

By any chance, would you also know where I can find the data for the weekly challenges exercises.

Regards,

Nisha

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @nnishapillai 

A good place to start is Weekly Challenge Index & Welcome  . The challenges are listed in order and also have info about the subject(Parsing, preparation, macros, etc.) as well as the level of difficulty

Dan

nnishapillai
7 - Meteor

I was trying to do weekly challenge 2, but didn't know where to find the data for that exercise, ie, an excel sheet or .yxdb file etc

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@nnishapillai 

The data for that challenge is contained in the Text Input tool Data.png

This will be the case for most of the challenges.  If it's different, the challenge start will either be an Alteryx Package(.yxzp) containing the needed data files or the challenge web page itself will have the data files as separate downloads. 

Have fun.  Look forward to seeing you in the Top Ten Challengers list.

Dan

Labels