Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Feature API licensing

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi there!

I had a question on licensing of the Alteryx command line tool - AlteryxEngineCmd.exe. We are planning to use this tool to generate Tableau Data Extract from Excel files after performing some transformations. Our client already has an Alteryx server license and installation, but then this is installed on separate machine than the one where we will be generating the Tableau Data Extract (let us call this the source machine) from the Excel files. So we have two options:
1) Copy over the Excel files to the Alteryx Server machine and run AlteryxEngineCmd.exe to generate the TDEs, then copy them back where we need them.

2) OR obtain a Feature API license (if needed) from Alteryx, install the command line tools on the source machine and run the transformation based on the YXMD files on the source machine itself.

The preferred approach is the second. So I wish to know if we can obtain a Feature API license to run the AlteryxEngineCmd.exe on the source machine, and also what would be the approximate cost given that we already have a server license.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

I suggest using the Output tool to generate the .tde file  You can also save a version in Excel if needed and place into a shared folder of both machines.  Since they are using Tableau Server, you can also use the Publish to Tableau Server tool to push the extract directly there and save a few steps.

As for the price, you should reach out to your Account Executive to ask, but eh pricing is all available on the Alteryx Website.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi everyone!

I have a similar issue and question. I have not found the licensing details for the API use to execute AlteryxEngineCmd.exe, different from Scheduler licensing.

Thanks to the one who give us that detail.

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Hey @afmendeza Just curious to know if you have got answer for your query. I also have same doubt; can anyone help? Need licensing details for the API use to execute AlteryxEngineCmd.exe and how different it is from Alteryx Scheduler?
Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

There is not a specific API licences to run workflows.  This is part of the Alteryx Server, or scheduler to allow Alteryx to be called via CMD line to run on that machine.  The Desktop with scheduler is just that.  The Alteryx Designer with the ability to run scheduled local workflows.  This requires the machine to be on and usable at the time of run.

Scheduling is also a part of the Server, and a better option for allowing more people to schedule work, and being on "all the time".  It also allows for more processing, a user front end, and a more security.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels