Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extra digits in calculations

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

When I sum these fields in Alteryx (screenshot is from the source data):

johneodell_0-1572362832310.png

My result is:

johneodell_1-1572362927024.png

Does anyone know how these extra digits are making their way into my calculation? All of the numeric fields throughout the workflow, from the source input through the formula tools, are type Double. I have a Data Cleanse tool in my workflow before the formulas to change all nulls to 0 to prevent the nulls from throwing anything off.

Thanks,

John

4 REPLIES 4
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @johneodell ,

I was able to replicate the issue .  

With change in  data type to double or reducing  precision in fixed decimal  will  get  zero  in output .

benakesh_0-1572364033173.png

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

@benakesh 

I changed the data type to fixed decimal and restricted it to two decimal places. My output shows 0.00. That's the workaround I've been using and it's perfectly acceptable but I thought I'd try to figure out what was causing the issue in the first place.

Thanks for the help!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You're summing the fields in Alteryx, but were these values created in Alteryx? When I've seen this in the past, it's a floating point from an Excel input that Alteryx carries on until user-resolved. 

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS 

That may very well be the case. The data is being created in SAP, exported to Excel, and then input to Alteryx. It's gone through a few processes before it even gets to me. Restricting the amount of fixed decimal places gets me the answer I need, so that is a perfectly acceptable workaround

Thanks!!!

Labels