Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel Date format using Table and Render tools

derar-alhussein
7 - Meteor

Hello,

How can I output Date values to Excel using the Table and Render tools, so that Excel recognizes the values as a proper Date format (as seen in the below image).

I've attached a sample workflow.

Thanks

date_render.png

8 REPLIES 8
RogerS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I changed the date to a string and then used the formula tool to format the way excel wants it.  DateTimeFormat([Date],'%m/%d/%Y')

derar-alhussein
7 - Meteor

Hi @RogerS

In fact, I already tried this before! but Excel was unable to recognize the values as Date.

Does It work in your case ? Could you please send me a screenshot of your Excel after applying the filter on the Date column.

date_render 2.png

MichalK
8 - Asteroid

I'm running into exactly the same problem.

Excel file generated with 'Render' tool does not recognize date fields properly.

It's possible to fix this on Excel side ( https://superuser.com/questions/817110/unable-to-get-excel-to-recognise-date-in-column ), but I would prefer not having to add extra manual steps.

I've tried multiple formatting options, but nothing seems to work.

treloarc
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am just wondering if you ever found a solution to this? I am experiencing the same problem with the render tool

Thanks

derar-alhussein
7 - Meteor

Hi @treloarc 

No, I didn't find a solution.

I did a workaround solution through writing a Powershell script, and executing it using the Run Command tool. The script opens the excel file and format the required column:

$worksheet.Columns.item(1).NumberFormat = "dd/mm/yyyy"  

treloarc
5 - Atom

Hey thanks for your response. 

So when you've updated the format of the cells in the Powershell script did you also manage to find a way to force a refresh of the cells after you had changed the format?

(i.e the equivalent of a user selecting a cell and then hitting enter?)

Otherwise the cells don't display the correct format in excel:

Capture.JPG

derar-alhussein
7 - Meteor

Hi @treloarc 

I forgot to mention that I first converted the date in Alteryx to Excel number as mentioned in this post by the reply of @LordNeilLord 

With this, you can later format it as date format using Powershell as mentioned above.

Derar

riyadh_jose
6 - Meteoroid

Sharing the solution I found.

It's a limitation of Excel to read Alteryx Date data as actual date when rendering. 

Solution: Select Data or Column of Data>Go to Data Tab>Select Text to Columns>Select Delimited and then click Finish.

Unable to get Excel to recognise date in column - Super User

Labels