Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error opening .yxmd file

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Symptoms

My workflow was doing just great, reading in a bunch of stuff and cranking out new data like a boss. But then I saved the workflow, closed down Alteryx, and now when I try to open that file up again, I get the following error:

There was an error opening "C:\my file name.yxmd"
There is an unclosed literal string. Line 3042, position 42.

Does this mean anything to you guys?

Diagnosis

The workflow has likely become corrupted, perhaps after saving it across a network, and has dropped something in the save process. 

Solution

Alteryx creates backups of the workflows (same name with a .bak extension). Try to open the .bak file in Alteryx. 

Go to File ->Open and change the "Files of Type" to All Files. The .bak files will show up and you can open the one you are having difficulty with. 

Another alternative would be to check if Alteryx auto-saved it prior to your last save. Go to File -> Open Autosaved files.

Comments
merago
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am using cleanse tool in my workflow, only cleansing tool getting an error  : Invalid path : Cleanse.yxmd 

rest of the workflow running fine.

Any help on this?

KSassone
8 - Asteroid

Thank You Thank You for this post !!  It has literally saved my bacon !!!

Love this Community !!!

Cheers,

Kiri