Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error message - Point is out of range in Polyline

louisbrewer
5 - Atom

I'm trying to run a buffer on a large polyline shapefile so that I can use a spatial match to pick up point locations within the buffer zones, but when I run the workflow I get error - Point is out of range in Polyline. 

Any idea what this means or how to fix it?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
louisbrewer
5 - Atom

Update:

Now working with Alteryx support to fix this and will update when the issue is solved

louisbrewer
5 - Atom

After speaking with Alteryx support, it looks like the shapefile used as an input into the buffer tool contained some damaged spatial objects.

The shapefile was created using the Spatial Process tool (intersection), which created a shapefile with different spatial object types - Lines and PolyPolyLines. As mixed spatial object types apparently cause the aforementioned error message, I used a Poly-Split and Poly-Build tools to split the PolyPolyLines into points and rebuild them back into Lines.

However when put back into the original workflow I was given the same error message. Looking into this further it appeared that shapefile created using the Spatial Process tool contained some damaged geometry. At the moment it's unclear why this happened but the Alteryx support team are currently looking into it.

To fix the bad geometry I ran the ‘Repair Geometry’ tool in ArcMap to fix the damaged records (ArcToobox>Data Management Tools>Features). When put back into the buffer tool, the repaired shapefile did not error.

Labels