Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Empty into Nulls

nwatzlaf
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I am trying to turn records that are empty in a certain field into NULLs so that I can use countNulls in a formula later on in the workflow. I have used several IF statements in formulas but I am not seeing the cells output as NULL in my result.

I have tried ...

IIF(IsEmpty([TRACKING_NUMBER]),Null(),[TRACKING_NUMBER])

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Natalia

4 REPLIES 4
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @nwatzlaf 

Wondering if it's due to data types, is your Tracking_Number numeric or a string?  If it's not a string, I'd try it with converting that field beforehand.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi, @nwatzlaf 

Quick tip - use the Data Cleansing tool on your TRACKING NUMBER field before you use this formula

It could be the case where you have some spaces on your records and they might not be considered an empty record.

Cheers,

nwatzlaf
8 - Asteroid

It worked! Thanks so much @Thableaus !

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Is there a way to apply this type of equation to multiple fields at the same time?  I have a lot of fields unfortunately that I first run through the Data Cleansing tool (which is slow to run) and then I would like to cleanse the data further by replacing empty with null on all fields.  Once run, I would then have a cleaner data set to work with downstream.

Labels