Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic drop down using input fille

BosKev
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Is it possible to create a dynamic dropdown from the same input file? meaning I want to take a field in the data set and create a dropdown base on unique value.

I attached an example of sort.

Thanks,

-Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @BosKev 

Yes. What you need to do is get the list of unique values into column headers. You can do this using a Unique tool, and then a Crosstab, with the column that you want to use in the dropdown as the column header row.

Drop a Dropdown tool on your canvas, and connect the above stream into the magnifying glass on the top of the Dropdown tool. That will automatically set the values to populate from the connected tool.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,

Esther

BosKev
8 - Asteroid

Hi Esther,

I attached an example , could you take a look? I'm not sure how the dropdown works thanks.

BosKev
8 - Asteroid

I think I got it...just one problem. the field I want to use is a date field when I crosstab date in field it change the format from 2019-06-30 to 2019_06_30. If I connect this to a filter on date -> [Date] = "2019-07-16" and I want to replace the string in quotes " " its won't work. Is there another solution? Thanks.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@BosKev ,

You can try to replace the _ with a - before the Dropdown. I use a Dynamic rename to do this. 

But I'm wondering if the problem with the filter is more on data type. You could be comparing a string field to a date field.

Cheers!

Esther

BosKev
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47 , Thank you. I followed your instruction it worked out great....apparently my browser tool was not enable so I couldn't see the results.  

Labels