Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Error Message

gavin_data
6 - Meteoroid

I am attempting to update an IN statement from a query that executes a SQL statement using the Dynamic Input tool which grabs the inputs from 2 columns in a CSV and am receiving the following error: The file "" has a different schema than the 1st file in the set.

The Dynamic Input tool updates using the "Replace a Specific String" configuration. This is because I want to update the IN statement that exists in the WHERE clause of the main outer query as well as a sub-query, but also so that I can create a concatenated column using the input values. 

It might help to know that when I copy and paste the values from SSMS into a text input, that I don't receive this error. Only problem with this method is that it only works in test scenarios because I'll have too much data to manage a copy and paste without crashing designer. 

Capture.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

hI @gavin_data ,

I wrote a tool for this exact issue (attached). Replace the Dynamic Input tool with this and give it a try. This is usually caused because there are hidden characters or merged cells in Excel.

Friends don't let friends Excel.

M.

Bulien

gavin_data
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the help!

I'm pretty new with this stuff so sorry if this question seems pretty obvious but im getting the following error after making the adjustments:

Filte: Parse Error at char(1): Unknown variable "FullPath"

Capture.JPG

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @gavin_data ,

Apologies. Save the macro I have attached below to your macros folder. If you don't have one set up, go to Options->User Settings-> Edit User Settings. Click the "Macros" tab. Input the filepath of where you want to store your macros.

Replace your input tool, marked as "CSV Input" with the directory tool, and configure this tool to look into the folder where your csv files are stored:

mceleavey_0-1586304326904.png

Then, looking at your original workflow:

mceleavey_1-1586304532235.png

replace the first four tools with the following:

mceleavey_2-1586304632710.png

Then connect the output with your second data cleansing tool.

This should fix your issue.

If you like, send me your workflow and I'll build it for you.

M.

Bulien

gavin_data
6 - Meteoroid

So far I've figured it out with your instructions except for one part.

My dynamic input has a SQL query that pulls data from our DB, updating several strings within the query using the CSV files. So what happens to my query, or where do I put it?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I thin I'd need to see what it is you're doing and why you would need a SQL query. The standard answer is replace it with Alteryx.

I'm happy to jump on a call so you can walk me through it if you like?

DM me and I'll send you my details.

M.

Bulien

Labels