Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Filter is not Working (Perhaps Because of an Action Configuration)

MostafaBouzari
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to let user to select a row and then change the value of a cell.

but i couldn't do that perhaps because of some Configuration in Action tool

using Debug i figured out that Alteryx replaces this 

[Customer Segment] IN  (Champions=False,Loyal Customers=False,Potential Loyalist=False,Recent Customers=False,Promising=False,Customers Needing Attention=False,About To Sleep=False,At Risk=True,Can't Lose Them=False,Hibernating=False,Lost=False)

instead of the Selected value

how can i achieve this?

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Give this a try.  

With those action tools you need to write a formula for the update to happen correctly.

I find those take too long, but this is pretty quick.

MostafaBouzari
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much 

Ok first i want a short explaination of what you did

and it's of course much better. How can i Practice to do stuff like you did? is there anything or anywhere that i can learn from? 

If not try too post some Youtube videos  it would help so many people 

Thanks again

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@MostafaBouzari the best way i've seen people learn Alteryx is by trying specific tasks. The weekly challenges are really instrumental in a lot of people improving their skills since the questions vary from week to week. you can find the challenges in Academy -> Weekly Challenge in the left navigation bar.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Sure.

For the List Boxes:

Use your list as an input.  Since we know that it outputs a string of True/False, rather than try to parse that all out we just put the results into a text box.  Then, we use parse out the comma separated values into separate lines and the True/False into separate columns.  This allows us to filter and gives us just what we need next: a list of the names to keep.

In the case of the first List box (tool 3), we know that we need to use that to select rows.  Since we've already parse out the True/False statement and have the names as a single column, we can use that to join on the input data.

In the case of the second List Box (tool 139), we need that to select columns.  But rather than work through some fancy logic, we already know that that Union tool as the ability to limit results on common columns.  So, we pivot the list into columns using a Crosstab tool.  Add in a dummy field (Customer Segment) for the field we need but isn't part of the list from 139.  Limiting the number of rows to zero, is the same thing as only passing a schema - or in this case selecting the columns for output.

Hope that makes sense.

How can you practice? 

Just keep using Alteryx.  Find reasons to use it.  Find problems to solve with it.

The Community is a great place to find new problems to solve.  There are weekly challenges as well as the questions here like you posted.  

Don't be afraid to try something.  You won't break it, so you have nothing to lose by just trying. 

Labels