Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Drop file in a specific location

alphabex18
8 - Asteroid

2019-02-19 10_47_24-Alteryx Designer x64 - Congressional District ZIP Workflow.yxmd_.png

I am using a formula tool to drop in a file to a path. However, the path is a temp path, and I wondering if there is an Engine.Path option where I can specify it to a specific drive. 

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

is your goal to have a path that ALL workflows can reference and push a file to, or to have a path for files specific to this workflow that you can update at a later date?

If the latter, you can create user constants and control the information related to these locations within a workflow.

If you are looking for the former, the best way I have found to accomplish this is via a Macro that you add as a best practice to your workflows, which is configured to dynamically use a consistent path, and is saved in a shared location.  This is a little technical, so I can provide some more detail for this if it will be valuable to you, but I don't want to go into too much detail if this doesn't sound like what you need to accomplish.

alphabex18
8 - Asteroid

I want the file to drop on a shared network folder instead of my temp c drive so that others can see the output results. Ultimately, the file is being sent in an email to the audience, so again it being on my temp drive instead of a shared location means that only i can be the one to send the email. 

Thank you

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Based on that description - You can try adding a User constant under Workflow - Configuration in the Worflow pane, by clicking the "+" icon to the right of the Constants section.  You can name this anything you want (I recommend OutputPath), and can define the value however you'd like.  That way you can use the same constant for multiple different outputs within one workflow if needed.

jrc7
5 - Atom

In addition to setting this desired path as a User Defined Constant Variable, may I suggest using the Text Input tool and then using the Append Fields tool to append to your dataset?

The main advantage of this is that this variable is visible as part of your workflow and is easier to maintain/update, especially in the case of a handover. 

alphabex18
8 - Asteroid

I was able to create the User Output, but the my email still wouldn't send. However, the Engine.Workflow option did work, so i was able to drop the files into a shared drive, and then program the email to send from there. 
Thanks for the help.

Labels