Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Drag a Worflow tab out of Alteryx to open another Alteryx Window

Hi,

With multiple Workflows open, I'd like to be able to grab one of the Workflow tabs and drag it out on to the desktop.  This act would then cause a new Alteryx Window to open up with the Workflow that was pulled out.  Just like when you have multiple tabs open in I.E. and you drag a tab out and drop it on the desktop - you end up getting another I.E. opened up and the tab you dragged out is in the newly opened I.E.

This would be handy because I'm often wanting to copy/paste tools, formulas, etc. and it would be nice to do that w/o flipping from one tab to another.

I know I can right-click and open another Alteryx but when opening several - they all open in the same one.

Thanks,

Brad

21 Comments
kkhan003
5 - Atom

Yeap - wanted to see if this can be done. A response would be highly appreciated.

A1
7 - Meteor

That would speed up development when you are reusing processes from previously existing workflows but need to tweak things once in the new workflow -- you'd have the old one open for reference without having to switch tabs and lose focus on tool configuration windows.

NatalieB
5 - Atom

Yes please!

ssherlock17
5 - Atom

While this isn't really a solution, I stumbled into it.  I found that if I try to open 2 workflows one, right after the other, without letting the first one finish opening, the second will open in a new window.  I'd also like to see functionality like a browser window, where you could just click and drag it to a new window.  Thanks for raising this!

jfraley
7 - Meteor

bumpppppp

Inactive User
Not applicable

yessss

lhbauman24
5 - Atom

I know i am late to the party... But this would be great.

jhorn
5 - Atom

yes, please!

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi all, while this idea is still in the queue for evaluation, I want you to be aware of another option. Workflow tab groups allow you have workflows open in groups, and work on them side by side (or top and bottom). Simply right-click on the workflow name and choose to create a new horizontal or vertical tab group.

This will aid in referencing one workflow while updating another and allow copy/ pasting without flipping tabs, all without losing tool focus!

tab groups.png

jonjack25
6 - Meteoroid

This has been up for a while but I would love to see this happen