Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Download Google Maps Timeline Data with all Details

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi everybody!

Do you want to know, what Google all knows about you, when you have your Google Maps Timeline turned on? 

Do you want to take back YOUR Google Maps Timeline data and analyze it for yourself? 

Interested in seeing how many miles or kilometers you have walked? Run? Travelled by plane or train? Want to know which places you have visited multiple times in the past? How many times you have been to Italian or Greek Restaurants? Maybe how much time you have spent in your live at the kindergarden of your little one? Look NO further!

I have created a Google Maps Timeline grabber, automatically downloading you all Google .kml Files, holding information about where you have been, when you were there, how you got there and what kind of place it is.

Generally Google Maps Timeline lets you either download one single KML file at a time with these details OR all data without the details, the all data basically just shows you Lat/Lon and a Timestamp, but no information about how you got there and what kind of place it is. The KML file gives you all the details including also Polylines for example for when you traveled a distance, so it also holds Geoinformation.

Of course for all of it to work, you need your Google Maps Timeline on your phone turned on and you need to have a google account so that the information gets stored. Its your choice, if you want Google to know this information or not, I have mine turned on since 2014 and its pretty impressive what kind of things I know now about me, for example that between 2014 and mid 2019 I have spent 4% of my time in hotels...

So how you use it? The main thing you need, is the Cookie Google uses to identify you, its a little tough to get, here is a short description:

1) Open a Browser like Firefox

2) Go to: https://www.google.com/maps/timeline (when logged into your Google Account)

3) Under the Developer functionalities look for something like “Inspect”

4) In the new console look for something like “Network” in the tabs and click on it

5) Copy & paste the link of one KML file from Google Maps Timeline into browser, something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline/kml?authuser=0&pb=!1m8!1m3!1i2017!2i3!3i16!2m3!1i2017!2i3!3i16

You can use an date in the above address where you have data for, basically the first time it shows “1i2017!2i3!3i16”in the URL is the date you want to get data for. As you might have guessed, “2017” is the year, the “3” behind “!2i” is the month (note Google starts with 0 for January) and the “16” behind the “!3i” is the day.

6) Once you have put in the URL with a date that works for you, hit enter, when your browser asks you to save the file, just decline, we actually want to look at this instead:

image.png7) Right-click on the marked string, go to “Copy” and then select “as cURL” and paste this into a text editor like Notepad++, it should look like this:

image.png

If you look closely at this, you will see a “-H Cookie:  …….  -H”, you will basically the whole string between the 2 -H parts, including the “Cookie:…”, this is your Cookie which need to paste in the Cookie field of the Macro, it is valid usually for a long time, so you should not have to do this often.

The rest of the configuration of the Macro, should be easy, just select the Start and End Dates to pull data for and the folder where the Macro shall store the individual .kml Files it downloads. Its created in the way, that it automatically stores the files in this location but you also can view the results it pulled from the Output Anchor directly.

Get your YXI Installer from the Alteryx Gallery HERE

Kudos goes to the CreW Team for their Wait A Second Macro!

Have fun playing with your own Google Maps Timeline Data!

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Amazing work! Thank you a lot for this valuable contribution! Cheers!

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx! I have used the method in your tutorial and that works! THANK YOU!

Now, I am considering what if other people what to extract their timeline but they don't know how to use inspect. Therefore, I want to send a block of code to people and they can get their timeline by simply running my program. Do you know how I can get the curl from another computer/google account by code?

Labels